Monday, June 4, 2012

Inside on a Rainy Day



Hitching Post Cafe

The road to Pluto Cave
Steady drizzling rain this mourning and a sullen dreariness, like I’ve seen on the faces of chimps pictured on NPR, just waiting, with no ideas on how to pass the time.  So I drove to the only café in Dunsmuir that opens early, the Hitching Post, and listened to the waitress complain to me, her only customer, that her otherwise good job is boring on a rainy day with little to do but watch it rain.






Soon a lady came in and wanted to talk.  Why not sit and talk, with rain coming down hard outside,  and the basement flooding because of a clogged drain.  “If only the city man would come by like he always does,” the waitress said, “I could at least complain to him about it.  I’ll flag him down if he doesn’t stop.”  It was not ten minutes before I saw a city pickup approaching, and since the waitress was in the back, I jumped up and ran out in the rain, like a flapping bird, and waved him down.  He and the waitress had a little discussion, while I and the lady customer who had recently walked in, had a conversation.

“A little girl went missing in Nome, Alaska,” she said.  “That was many years ago, but today she’s grown and living here in Dunsmuir.  Abducted by aliens and transported here.  They meant her no harm and she’s doing just fine under the beneficial ambiance of Mother Mt. Shasta.”

“I’m new here,” I said, “staying for a month.  I read a few stories like this on the internet and in a couple of books.”

“You should feel behind your right ear,” she said, “That’s where the aliens place the device they use to track you.  If you feel a new lump there, then you are one of us.  But most people are no more than characters in a Hollywood movie.  Their brains are cabbage.”

She talked as rationally as I claim to talk.  Her words could have rolled off my tongue if they were about dark matter and the advantages of becoming a possibilist.

“I saw a light above the farm on the night I got pregnant,” she continued.  “Late in the night; my boyfriend saw it too.  ‘My alien baby,’ he calls our daughter.

“I watch the earthquake website every day.  The San Andreas Fault lights up like a Christmas tree with little earthquakes.  That’s because the aliens are holding back the big one.”

The city man had stopped the flooding in the basement by the time I left, and the lady with a lump behind her ear had gone into some spiritual aspect of Mt. Shasta, like many others in this town, completely enthralled with having finally found the answers to life’s burning questions.




Pluto Cave

Pluto Cave
I was headed for a place northeast of Weed, called Pluto Cave.  The wet hike into it would take only fifteen minutes, and once inside, I could enjoy a dry place where once molten lava flowed hot and fast.  I had walked through my first lava tube in Hawaii some thirty years ago, where Mauna Kea lava took the short route to the ocean.  The surface flow cooled as it ran down the volcano, but under the surface it flowed like water in a pipe.  The lava tube eventually drained and became a cave.  Today I visited a similar lava tube three thousand miles to the east and remembered it as if I were there.






Pluto Cave

Pluto Cave
.


Funny how artificial light plays
on a black lava rock inside
 a cave and makes it look like a vase
 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon!!! You're there!!! Wish I were too. It's gorgeous, and once again you've found cool people to talk to. I, too, like to watch the Caltech site for earthquake activity, and am relieved to know that the big one is being held back. Those clouds. Please bring one back to us and park it over Mount Wilson. Wonderful stories, can't wait for your slide show at Kathabela's. Thanks for staying off the mountain during the storm. Keeping the home fires burning.... Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a train ride away, Liz, through lovely forest and river past Redding.

      Delete
    2. Whew... I feel like I am watching a sci-fi movie... including comments and answers but I am happy there will be a happy ending at Kathabela and Rick's. I can tell by the lenticular cloud shapes, the "light over the farm" and the earthquake predictions... The kink in the previous hose is a little ominous but you straightened it out Sharon and I watered the squash plants with a watering can, so all is well! See you tomorrow same place... Mt. Blog, I hope!!

      Delete
    3. I fear to bring you here, Kathabela. You could make up stories wilder than locals do.

      Delete
  2. I have a bump behind my right ear but that's because I laughed so hard I fell over and hit my head. Not only was that one of the best of the Letterman Weirdest Conversations in a Small Town list...but I was thinking about your deadpan expression with only a slight curve of the lips as you listened. I always knew I was an alien but that's because I like to write strange words on napkins and the backs of gas bills. Oh well, I am highly entertained by your day Sharon. So glad I tuned in and love the cave pics. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, you could be Letterman! You ask the right questions and make intriguing comments on your guests' stories. Rock on rock is what I do these days, unless the rock is covered with snow, then I will I want to see those napkins and gas bills.

      Delete
  3. FUnny, lois should say so. I also have a bump behind my ear...and I thought it was just do to inflammation from eating nightshades. Although, i also seem to remember a light in the sky the night I wrote a poem about a painting with fire in it. Does that make me one of the group too? I always wanted to experience the other dimensions on Mt. Shasta. Maybe that lady would recognize me. Looking forward to making the climb with you. Just don't get into any vehicle with that lady. I don't want you abducted to the wrong planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lump is from some sort of bug I think, mosquito maybe. Let us raise glasses to our normality and free will, that we control our destinies.

      Delete