Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Black Butte


After the great winter storm
Shastina on the left, Mt. Shasta on the right
 

Today, I was supposed to stand on the summit of Mt. Shasta.  It had been my plan for months to begin last Sunday, camp at 7,000’, climb to 10,000’, camp, and climb to the summit today.  But a funny thing happened on my way to the top, and fortunately I learned about it in time.  A winter storm hit hard on Sunday.  Yes a winter storm in June.  It dumped a lot of snow, and winds hit ninety miles an hour with temperatures far too cold for these tootsies.  The ranger warned me that it would be an unusually strong storm for this time of year.  Today, I saw the mountain for the first time since Saturday, and from this picture you can see what a white wonder it has become.








I returned to the place where I took the picture on June 2 (picture on the left) with which I described my proposed route to the summit.  On the right is today’s picture with only a few clouds to hide the great amount of snow that fell, and how happy I am that I did not go as planned.  




This morning’s forecast showed high winds and low temperatures, with a chance of snow, and no improvement for the next few days.  A bit disappointed, I decided to rearrange my outings here in Dunsmuir and hope for better weather on the mountain.  When you are an adolescent with only four days lived in a life expectancy of thirty days, you can put things off.




Black Butte
So today I visited a volcanic eruption, one that happened about  nine thousand years ago.  Black Butte, just north on Mt. Shasta Town is what often remains of volcanoes that lose their heat.  A plug of pasty lava welled up into the vent, sealing it and building a rounded dome.  Its flanks no longer fume and burn, but are reduced to aprons of steep talus, like rubble heaps.



An old tree
plastered white
with another snow
climbs the mountain
with juveniles.
 
Near the summit of Black Butte
 remains of an untimely winter storm
 

Little rock stars
with white faces
volcanic remnants 
 





Summit of Black Butte

The snowstorm is not completely over












Mount Shasta
by Lee Collins

Disarming in its stormy veil
that makes us gasp
Shasta is charming in disguise
cloaked in vast chilly smiles
it lifts its misty mask
like a costumed guest
at an unending party
of dancing clouds
pausing for applause . . .
a handsome phantom
in tuxedo cape

But as with a person
who really knows?
there’s always another hot layer
of masquerade beneath that
cool role of impersonate
beneath decades of formal snow
a passionate volcano lies in wait
a gigolo incognito
hidden to delight
to captivate
to devastate

Mt. Shasta City along I-5 from Black Butte
















Mt. Shasta from Black Butte














White fluffy in the sky, some soft, some hard 













4 comments:

  1. I am happy the adolescent is happily visiting volcanoes instead of 90 mile an hour winds... whew. Here at home I'm listening to the wild parrots who have a lot to say right now... as Liz says... what birds does Sharon hear? How long does it take for the mountain to become habitable... I mean climbable after the winter storm ends and winds die down... probably it depends on what happens next-- what the temperature turns to... and that is a precarious mix I think, if the weather turns too nice it can be as crazy as if it stays cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just windy enough on Black Butte today to show me that I don’t want to attempt Shasta in strong wind, and wind is all I see in the forecast. Maybe the adolescent will do adult things for a while.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. High winds are expected for the next few days. I hope to see those mysterious lenticular clouds that stand still in high wind, something I cannot do I fear.

      Delete