Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 3 - Summit Attempt


“All your life you had been led by the hand like a small child, and suddenly you were on your own, you had to learn to walk by yourself.  There was no one around. . .  At such a time you felt the need of committing yourself to something absolute—life or truth or beauty. . .  You needed to surrender to some such ultimate purpose.”—Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago

I had set the alarm on my cell phone for two in the morning.  My headlamp was mounted on my helmet.  Water was tucked inside my tent where it would not freeze.  I would climb for two hours in darkness over tracks that I had seen and memorized the day before.

But the alarm did not sound, and I awoke to the first glimmers of daylight.  The cell phone did not even light up; it was completely dead.  Later I realized that in trying unsuccessfully to obtain signal for two full days, it had exhausted its battery, like a climber who tries too hard.  Still, I did not panic or immediately change the plan.  I had wanted to ascend through the Red Banks, up Misery Hill, to reach the summit about nine.  Then I could return to base camp around noon, before the thaw and its loosening of rocks on the Red Banks, which is the greatest danger on most days.  And on this day I had been advised that ice chunks from the recent storm still hung on the Red Banks and were falling in the afternoon thaws.


Climbers
Looking up at the Red Banks
I climbed with only a light pack, leaving most things at base camp, but the struggle seemed very hard.  I could not climb any faster than a certain speed learned over many hikes as my greatest long-term speed.  And today the elevation made it even slower.  Maybe I was unconsciously trying to make up lost time, but I felt tired in the first hour.  When I was still below The Heart, that bulge of rock in the center of the left picture, I took rest.  Looking up toward the Red Banks, I saw two tiny specks that appeared to be moving.  In the right picture, zoomed in, they are clearly human climbers, probably bearing skis for some sort of wild descent.  

I climbed up past The Heart and rested again, considering my progress relative to the distance remaining.  The numbers did not jive.  I could not reach the summit before noon, if I even had the energy to reach it.  I would descend through the Red Banks in the afternoon of a day that was already turning warm.  There was only one reasonable course of action.  Like I told the lady ranger a week ago when she advised me not to go up because a storm is coming, “I am crazy, but I am not stupid.”






I began a slow descent, disappointed, but determined to enjoy the day.  Above  Helen Lake, I saw the camps of climbers already packing up to descend. 













Near them was a small moving speck, which you can barely see in the left picture, and can see clearly in the right zoom.  It was the only living thing, other than humans, I had seen since Horse Camp. 













Other climbers passed me going down, and where the slope allowed it, they were sliding, glissading, and having a good rollick for their efforts. 






























They took my picture doing the same.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome story !

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have been there to enjoy the awesomeness.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the story leaves me speechless. I am glad you turned around. I am glad you could still smile on the way down. What an experience. The alone-ness, with occasional relief in the form of a few other humans and one bird... seems very strong, as in your introductory quote. You seem patient with frustrating circumstances... and the good humor and patience seems to be the life force of such adventures. While you were arriving home I was at Caltech watching the program given my a climber in stone and ice and very difficult climbs in Pakistan and China...even losing fingers to frostbite, and many harrowing tales. His meditative love of the solo climb was evident... and he still could say amidst high wind and stress, "life is sweet".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes worry that I handle disappointment too easily, that I don’t try hard enough. I know the decision to abort the summit attempt was a good decision, but sometimes I think I abort life’s treks too soon.

      Delete
  3. OMG! The I'm-late-for-school-because-the-alarm-didn't-go-off nightmare! How disappointed you must have been! Yet, wise you are to know the mountain has its own rules and regulations to abide by.

    Still, what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mountain is in charge of who climbs it and who does not. Some have a better chance because their alarms work or because their bodies can take more, but the mountain rules.

      Delete
  4. You are the bravest soul in my book. You slept with the mountain -- heard its groans in the night and felt it's quiet cover you like a sheet of ice. I admire your trek and I'm very glad to know you know when to say yes and when to turn away. Many people do not listen to their inner alarm and do not live to tell their story and we know there are many more stories, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravery? Lois, I wonder if its more like running. Your words are sweet and warm. I was brave enough to turn back, hearing an inner alarm, yes, you are right about that.

      Delete
  5. Sharon, how brave and you are to attempt and even more brave to know when to say "not now." You are still our hero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pauli, It's nice to have friends who stay in spint one's shortcomings.

      Delete
  6. Where you are sliding down on the snowy slope is one of my favored.
    At least the surrounding quiet nature had some funny disturbance.
    Have fun ......Enjoy and give my regard to the trees and any creatures that you meat,
    Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to become somber and philosophical on these expeditions. Thanks for levity. Sharon

      Delete