Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lenticular Clouds



I have been stopped from climbing Mt. Shasta by a big storm bearing down with high winds on the summit, mixed with snow, which means white-out.  Down here in Dunsmuir, the sky is cloudy with 100% chance of rain tomorrow.  I am happy that I allowed plenty of time for this sort of setback, and I am using it for other things, like helping the local fire department.






Today I visited the Sisson Museum in the town of Mt. Shasta, a fine little archive set in the trees next to the fish hatchery.  And there I learned about those mysterious-looking lenticular clouds that often nuzzle close to Mt. Shasta or hover quite far away.  The pictures of them shown here are not mine except that I took them of pictures on the walls at the museum.





High speed wind, deflected by the huge lone mountain, creates clouds that stand still, if conditions are right.  That is the paradox of lenticulars—they stand still while other clouds zoom past, carried by the wind.  Sometimes a solo lenticular forms on the leeward side, formed by winds wrapping around the mountain.  Sometimes they encircle the peak.






No wonder so many strange stories have risen over the years, adding mystical and spiritual significance to lenticular clouds and other strange happenings on the mountain.  






Mt. Shasta City

4 comments:

  1. I love this post, so playful, you at your lovely firehouse best! I like that you are playing with your toys while you wait! The photo in the fire truck shows your playful essence that leads you to adventure. And the lenticular clouds! I never knew about this... such detailed and amazing worlds we create in our imagination under mountains. (At least I see it that way, of course)... one has to delight n the humans' ability to create such worlds and enjoy them. Giving comfort, adventure, and persuasion to themselves and others... we all do this... in all different ways. It is very interesting how the mind can interpret and create... hope you will write poems! I love your playfulness and patience now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathabela, I wish many more people had your courage in writing their feelings and insights here on the bolg. Many have responded by email, but most seem inhibited by the public forum. Here I have posted personal self-rebukes and utter nonsense on occasion, and have suffered not a single serious rebuke or lynching, though many are deserved. How is it you find my serious writings playful and my accurate accounts, like helping the fire department, “amazing worlds we create in our imagination under mountains.” You see, I happened by the firemen as they were pulling a hose from a reel on the back of a fire truck, and noticed that the hose was kinking. So I stepped in and grabbed the hose, undoing its kinks and giving it a flip to prevent another kink while the fireman pulled it. Nothing anybody would have done, especially while waiting impatiently for the weather to clear so I can climb the mountain. But you are right, it is all play, and unkinking a hose gives the unkinker all the satisfaction of games in the lovliest contexts. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kathabela, your post is indeed playful, and adventurous already. I love the lenticular clouds and the myths (maybe not?) that haunt Mr. Shasta. I even have a friend who claims to know a few campfire stories of Lemuria. As for your photo-op with the fire engine? Like a kid in a candy shop...love the smile!

    Anxious to read your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Stevie. The Lemurians keep potting up in posters, jokes, stories, and sincerely express encounters. I hope to meet one before I leave here.

      Delete