Thursday, June 28, 2012

Leavings


How do the rest of you take leavings?  I left Tennessee, after a seven-year itch that stopped itching.  I left New Mexico after a six-year itch that was really scratching Tennessee. I left Ventura to escape from work and go places like Dunsmuir, California.  And tomorrow morning, I will leave Dunsmuir.

Maybe I was destined to be a firewoman, and so look content in this picture at the Mt. Shasta museum. 








Last view of Mt. Shasta, little changed from when I saw it a month ago, still unclimbed, still scary and majestic.  











Dogwood tree in a snowstorm on Black Butte, near Mt. Shasta, its flowers doomed unless it warms up quick.  So reminiscent of Tennessee dogwoods, so fresh and energetic, full of white hope.










Dandelion on the bank of the Sacramento River near Dunsmuir.  It could have been along the Cumberland River near home in Flynns Lick, Tennessee. 

8 comments:

  1. and soon you will be in our midst again, so looking forward to your talk and those fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, and your snow cone will be part of it.

      Delete
  2. Happy Last Dunsmuir Day, Sharon. We are looking forward to your return. Please go easy on yourself, doing 600 miles in one day seems excessive, even though it brings you back to us. Thank you for the stories, poetry and photos. The dogwood photo brought back a tree i was very fond of in Michigan. It was my first tree crush. Unforgettable. Happy trails. Love, Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, It will be a long, but non-traffic drive, that's what I expect. Hope to see you tomorrow night. Love, Sharon

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow, love you "white hope" - in Shasta snow, and in the wishful dandelion I wish to blow on your photo and send all those wishes off, and back here! You'll be happy here in the Poetry Garden, at least for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least for a while, maybe a long while. I keep finding past dandelions and white hope from long past.

      Delete
  4. The nice thing about endings is that they bring us closer to the next beginning :) Have a safe trip home Sharon!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lois, I am home now and it feels good, new beginning that it is. Not ready to leave soon, but I know I will again.

    ReplyDelete