Friday, May 4, 2012

A Little Ice Age


From a distance, Mt. Shasta appears an apparition, too huge to be real.  And that is the only way I have seen it.


This mountain
a Eureka held up
to sun-blinded eye
born to gaze into fire

pardon the dreamy-eyed girl
still in the grown-up


Why would you subject yourself to undue risks, 
  battle the perils of nature while struggling with a heavy pack, 
trying to get to a place that may give you mountain sickness?  
Go ahead and ask; I have.  


Go to India, someone has said, and a guru will send you to Mt. Shasta.  Go find the golden temples deep inside the mountain.  Commune with the Lemurians who dwell there.  Mystics speak of secret caverns within her.  They talk of strange lights dancing on her nighttime snow, of bells ringing along her slopes, and cities inhabited by advanced civilizations ten miles beneath her crest.

~~~~~~

I wish to convince you that I intend on coming back alive.  The month of June is about climbing, and much more.  One can choose between discovering wildflowers along a forest trail or taking an ice ax and crampons up the towering summit.  

9 comments:

  1. Please leave comments here, even if anonymous.

    Sharon Hawley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous comment left by Steven, who is right by Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's deep, Steven. Welcome along, and Gail too.

      Delete
  3. my life itself
    Archimedian gold
    so pure
    I cannot touch it
    the old moon now
    too big to hold
    or touch
    I've swallowed it
    become ageless
    go nowhere
    and everywhere

    Ah and long after your back (and I happy you intend return) we're going to India... so I will let you know if anyone points us on to Shasta. I was impressed by it, on a drive, in the distance that singular purity alluring and impressive. My sister lived in its shadow, it's singular symbolism did not hold her life together, and she left... and settled in Santa Barbara... where mountains are more companionable? We may go to caverns in Puerto Rico if I remember the mouth of poetry I found there dripped stalagtites and dreams. I hope to have a couple of days to share dream stories before you leave for your "beloved mountain" (Liz Goetz quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know how your poem relates, but it’s a nice poem. It is hard not to swoon in the presence of Mt. Shasta as seen driving north on I-5; yes, I agree.

      Delete
    2. Well, I started with your Eureka, Origin of EUREKA (merriam Webster)
      "Greek heurēka I have found, from heuriskein to find; from the exclamation attributed to Archimedes on discovering a method for determining the purity of gold"
      and your mountain held up to view became "my life" which does seem in itself a mysterious mountain, alluring. yet pure and untouchable in its, essence, and mysterious as the mountain you describe. The "old moon" can mean many things... the appeatance recently of the moon so big probably prompted it... but life too, is like an "old moon" eventually... and gaping at it, and experiencing one "swallows" -- as a "grown-up" absorbs thechild and in doing that one can feel ever-young, and travel or not stay in one place or... og everywhere that way... or travel to India, etc Mt Shasta both in spirit and if one chooses in body. So my poem was inspired by yours and relates (in my mind, this way) and also other mysterious ways I am not aware of, as is usual.

      Delete
    3. My mind has never thought like this, but seems revolving the opposite direction, like protons counter-rotate in the LHC. As they collide—protons there, minds here—new particles are born and new truths discovered. May it ever be so.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to this amazing adventure! Thank you for letting me tag along.

    Stevie

    ReplyDelete